NCCHM achieves its mission by accomplishing and striving toward religious and educational goals. Among our efforts and service:
- NCCHM annual meeting, which convenes over 70 organizations each year to provide a national network, education, and forum of dialogue on Hispanic ministry issues, challenges, and achievements.
- Convenes and celebrates National Congresses of Latino and Catholic leaders called Raíces y Alas (Roots and Wings). The first national congress was held in 1992 and has become closely tied to NCCHM’s identity. The congress gathers hundreds of religious leaders from all nationalities and backgrounds: bishops, Hispanic ministry leaders, professional and civic leaders from the U.S. and Latin America. The Raíces y Alas National Congress has been held in 1992, 1996, 2000, 2010, and 2014.
- Hispanic Leadership Development Initiative developed with a major grant from the Pew Charitable Trusts and other organizations. The project helped strengthen Catholic and other faith-based organizations that provide vital social services to Hispanic Communities. The goals of the project were to offer established providers the resources and information needed to fulfill their own mission and to mentor emerging ministries.
- Providing support and close collaboration with La Red – National Catholic Network de Pastoral Juvenil and ministry leaders.
- Stewardship Development Program designed to educate and provide training on the discipline and systematic process of fundraising. Through a donation from the Lilly Endowment, this program provided training to the Hispanic community in the discipline of fundraising in Hispanic/Religious context. Participants were taught fund raising principles and techniques involved in a comprehensive development program.
- Symposiums NCCHM organizes symposiums that respond in an efficient manner to national events considered being of extreme importance to the Hispanic community, such as immigration, church and society.
- Study on the Evangelization of Young Hispanic Professionals.
- Research on the needs for Catholic lay ministry formation among Hispanics.
- Publish an informative newsletter, PUENTES is distributed online to national Hispanic ministry leaders. This is a critical instrument for providing a national focus on Hispanic/Latino developments, news, and events. The newsletter is distributed to Catholic and Hispanic ministry leaders.
- Online presence via ncchm.org and social media.
- Creating and publishing a Vocational Culture Manual targeted at Hispanics/Latinos; to be published in 2017.
Participation in the National Encuentros on Hispanic Ministry convened by the USCCB.
NCCHM’S 2017 PROGRAMS
In 2017, the NCCHM Board and Membership will come together to plan, develop, and work on the following goals:
- Creating and publishing a Hispanic/Latino Culture of Vocations Manual targeted at Hispanics/Latinos; to be published in 2017. Dr. Rosemarie Kamke of the Teresian Association & Sr. Dominga Zapata from the Society of Helpers have been working since 2013 on researching and developing the culture of vocation manual that isn’t just devoted to discernment to the priesthood or consecrated life. The manual looks at our vocational discernment from baptism and seeks to be a resource for promoting discipleship in every Christian. The goal is to publish the manual online and print, and begin distribution before the end of 2017.
- Organizing and celebrating the 2017 NCCHM Annual Meeting. This year, NCCHM will convene national Hispanic Ministry leaders, religious communities and organizations to dialogue, network, reflect, and focus on pastoral juvenil hispana; the resources, challenges, and needs; what is being done to evangelize and accompany Hispanic youth and young adults in their journey as missionary disciples. The program and sessions are being developed and planned in partnership with La RED and Instituto Fe y Vida.
- Raíces y Alas 2020. Following the V Encuentro, NCCHM is planning to convene religious leaders from all nationalities and backgrounds: bishops, Hispanic ministry leaders, professional and civic leaders from the U.S. and Latin America in its national congress, Raíces y Alas 2020.
- Pastoral de Conjunto & V Encuentro NCCHM will continue to support and work in pastoral de conjunto with national Hispanic Catholic organizations, as well as support and participate in the V Encuentro.